A good Norfolk name! The Howes name can be traced back a long way in the county. For instance, there’s a John Howes of Morningthorpe, High Sheriff of Norfolk in 1718 (not claiming that he is part of our tree though!).
It would be great to hear from anyone related in some way to those mentioned here.
Arthur Albert Barcoe Howes
Arthur Albert Barcoe Howes was born 26th August 1858 in Norwich to Charles Henry Howes and Apollonia Carter. Baptism at Holy Trinity church, Heigham 25 Dec 1867. Charles was born in Besthorpe about 1830, likely living at ‘Bottle House’ 1841, and later worked as a tailor in Norwich, dying 1877. Apollonia came from nearby Attleborough, born about 1835, died Norwich 1900. Marriage 1853 Norwich.
AAB’s early years were in the yards of Norwich – Globe Street (Clarkes Buildings) and Rose Yard according to 1861 to 1891 censuses. He worked as a house decorator/painter and ended up in Churchill Road.
Marriage to Ann Harriet Cutlock in 1885 (2nd August, St Augustine). Offspring Arthur William (1885), Sydney Charles (1888), Gertrude (1891).
- Arthur William Howes married Hilda Brock 1935 in Ipswich, no children. A “letter sorter and telegraphist” at 1911, he also worked on the night train Norwich to London, but perhaps spent most of his working life behind the counter at Ipswich main post office. His death certificate (1968) records him as ‘supervisor, General Post Office (retired)’. See Top three for family tree in 2010 – discovering uncle Arthur’s wife.
- Gertrude Howes (aunt Gertie) never married. A boot and shoe worker, cutting leather; when at Start-Rite she cut the uppers for royal family children.
- Sydney Charles Howes married Emily Elizabeth Neal 1919 in Norwich, but was working in London as a supply teacher at the time. He died in the great London smog in 1952, which prompted the introduction of clean air laws. Two children, including Margaret Joyce – born 27 Aug 1922, died 9 March 1929. See Before they were married for more on Sydney and Emily.
Siblings of AAB Howes
All born/died Norwich unless otherwise stated.
- Frederick Charles Howes, born about 1854, died 1878 (probable).
- Barcoe James Howes 1859-1860.
- Herbert Charles Howes 1864-1868.
- Anna Julia Howes b/d 1866.
- Albert Frank William Howes b 1868, m Ann Sophia Catchpole 1889 Norwich. Became an insurance inspector, lived Hull and Cambridgeshire – death in 1917 recorded in Kingston-upon-Hull but was living at 31 Rustat Road, Cambridge (from probate record). One child Albert Charles Augustus Howes, b 1896, died 1935 in Bedford. CORRECTION, April 2016: Albert C A did not marry Hilda May Richardson in 1922 – her spouse was Albert E (Edward or Ted) Howes.
- Herbert Mark Ewart Howes b 1869, m Sarah Ann Barrett 1896 Wymondham Abbey. Insurance clerk, died 1935. Six children, including Elsie Alexander (1901-1978), Marjorie (1903-1972, m Harry Newstead 1929), Doris Irene (1907-1987, m Walter Wentworth Hardy 1936).
- Charles Lewis Edward Howes b/d 1872.
- Anna Julia Howes 1873-74, twin Emma Alberta Howes b/d 1873.
- Charles Henry Howes b 1876, m Agnes Maria Brown 1902, d 1953. Children Olive Matilda b 1904 probably died 1993 Gorleston, and Fernley Charles b 1906, died 1969 Great Yarmouth.
For more Howes genealogy (beyond the Howes family here), see Howesfamilies.com
Related posts on Cutlock and Co
- Arthur R Howes, 1926 to 2015
- Piecing together the anti-war evidence
- Finding Howes on (Spinal) tap
- Sixty years on
- The Beasor connection
- The Cutlock wrap for 2011
- The London smog of 1952
- Connecting with the neighbours
- Uncle William comes into focus
- Getting posted to the post office
- Before they were married
- Top three for family tree in 2010