Some suggested reading.
Voices from the Workhouse tells the real inside story of the workhouse – in the words of those who experienced the institution at first hand, either as inmates or through some other connection with the institution. By workhouse authority Peter Higginbotham.
- BMD = Births, Marriages, Deaths. The most important records for tracking ancestors. BMD is the usual term in Britain, BDM can be found elsewhere.
- FMP = Find My Past, a subscription family history records site.
- GR = Genes Reunited, a UK family tree site (owned by FMP).
- GRO = General Records Office, the place to order BMD certificates for England and Wales.
- IGI = International Genealogical Index. Cataloguing records from around the world, run by LDS. This is online at the familysearch website, and many of the actual records can be viewed at local/national LDS centres – now called Family Search Centers.
- LDS = Church of Latter Day Saints (the Mormons).
- MI = Memorial Inscription
- mn = maiden name.
- PR = parish register.
- TNA = The National Archives (for UK/England). There are Scottish and Irish versions – see Research Links page.
Some common nicknames/pet names/short names/abbreviations in the family records. Wikipedia has some more, and derivations.
Bert Bertram, Albert, Hubert, Herbert, Cuthbert etc
Fred Alfred, Wilfred, Frederick
Jack, Jno John, Jonathan
Bessie, Betty: Elizabeth
Etty, Hettie: Esther
Minnie: Wilhelmina or Mary
Nellie, Nell: Eleanor, Ellen or Helen
Peggy, Meg: Margaret
Polly, Molly: Mary