For other parts of ‘Abroad’ (beyond British shores) see North America and elsewhere.
Both George and Samuel Osborne, brothers of Robert (b 1824), emigrated to Australia from Somerset in the 19th century. The Merriott Families Genealogy website should be consulted for its Osborne to Queensland page. Also see Following four brothers from Somerset.
See under New Zealand, below, for George.
Samuel Osborne b 1833 Merriott, Somerset, d 11 Mar 1902 in Windsor, Brisbane, Queensland, buried Lutwyche Cemetery, Brisbane. Arrived in Moreton Bay September 1858.
- Married Mary Ann Moucher (b about 1837 Bridport, Dorset) 15 Jun 1857 Misterton, Somerset, d 27 May 1859 Fortitude Valley, Brisbane, Queensland. Two children: George Amos Osborne b about 1858 Somerset, d 12 Jul 1861 Collingwood, Victoria, Oz; Joseph Henry b and d 1859 Brisbane.
- Married Fanny Harris 25 May 1860 Melbourne, Victoria. Shedied 28 Mar 1907, Brisbane. Children:
- Henry George Osborne b 6 Jul 1862 Collingwood, Melbourne, d 21 Jun 1932 in Brisbane. Didn’t marry.
- Frederick George Osborne b 5 Jul 1864 Bullock Island, Newcastle, New South Wales d 4 Jul 1935 in Windsor, Brisbane. Married Hannah Weatherill 28 Feb 1889 in Brisbane (b 25 Jun 1870, d 3 Sep 1949, both Brisbane).
- Alfred John Osborne b 6 Aug 1866 Ox Island, Newcastle, New South Wales, d 30 Sep 1936 Brisbane. Married Harriet Ann Dangerfield 26 May 1892 O’Connell Town, Queensland (b about 1866 Queensland, d 19 May 1933 Brisbane).
Children of Frederick and Hannah:
- Fanny Elizabeth Osborne 1890 – 1935 Brisbane, Queensland, married George Coomer 26 Mar 1910 Brisbane.
- Frederick George Osborne 1892 – 1946 Brisbane, married Ada Mary Harten (1896-1975 Brisbane) 15 May 1915.
- Mabel Hannah Osborne b 1894 Brisbane, d 1945 Goulbourn, New South Wales, married David Leslie Makin (1891-1948) 11 Sep 1915.
- Violet Caroline Osborne b 1897 Brisbane, married William Foster 4 Jan 1919.
- May Harriet Osborne 1900-12 Brisbane.
- Ivy Florence Osborne 1904- ? Brisbane, married Alfred Ernest Greenough (1902 London- 1962 Queensland) 24 Mar 1928 Brisbane.
- Arthur Henry Osborne 1907-1965 Brisbane, married Lillian Page (1906 Manchester – 2000 Brisbane) 30 Nov 1932 Brisbane.
- Harold Walter Osborne 1909 – ? Brisbane, married Dorothy Elizabeth Jamieson 1933.
- Possibly Hazel Elsa Osborne b 1914 Brisbane d Perth, Western Australia, married David Parker 25 Nov 1933.
Children of Alfred and Harriet:
- George Henry Osborne b 1893 in Queensland d 1926 Brisbane.
- Ernest Albert Osborne b 1896 Queensland d 1974 Brisbane, married Ida Helena Robba (1904-1984) 16 May 1925 Brisbane.
- Isaac Cecil Osborne b 1898 Queensland d 1967 Brisbane, married Violet Jemima Pearl Whitehead (1904-1977) 4 Jun 1927 Brisbane.
- Robert William Osborne 1901 – 1963 Queensland, married Esme Eileen Rosenthal (b 1909) 2 Jul 1927 Brisbane.
- Mary Ellen Osborne b 1905 Queensland.
- James Alfred Osborne 1911-1975 Queensland. Probable marriage Edith Sarah Packman (1914-1986) 1935 Brisbane.
- Victoria May Osborne b 1914 Queensland, married Robert William Havill 10 Nov 1934 Brisbane.
Other families in Australia
Beasor/Crundwell families emigrated to Melbourne Victoria 1926. Henry and Charlotte Beasor appear to have returned to England later, but Sidney (b 1887 Lewisham) and Daisy Sarah Jane Crundwell (b 1893 Deptford) stayed – two children Iris Maud and Sidney Robert (both born in England).
Scott Fortune Scott born 1834 Seavington St Mary (and aunt to Walter Scott b 1851), married Jacob Long 24 Feb 1857 (same village) and must have departed immediately, as they appear on a New South Wales passenger list 20 June 1857. Both died in Ryde, NSW.
George Osborne moved on from Australia. Based on information in the Tamati/Aubrey family tree on Ancestry, he married Mary Ann Melrainey 25th May 1860 – this is the next register entry to brother Samuel (above), although the wife is shown here as Ann Morany.
Samuel b 1862 Port Curtis (Rockhampton), marries Augusta Johanna Haizo 17th Feb 1898 Hokitika, West Coast, and dies Greymouth 2 Oct 1902. Samuel is shown as a labourer in electoral rolls. Augusta remarries to a Forsyth – Samuel’s son Samuel Victor, born 1900, takes this surname. Daughter Annie Agnes born 1898.
George b 1865 Dunedin, d 15 Aug 1907 Otago. George worked as a groom.
Spencer May with wife Daisy Maud (nee Scott) emigrated to New Zealand, leaving 23rd Dec 1953 and arriving in January. He was a minister of religion and had previously been a missionary on the Indian sub-continent. See Kiwi Cousins for more on this family.
Leonard Norman Lake, related by marriage via the Neal family, married in Rotorua, NZ 1915, and ran a general store/bakers?