The Osbornes and connected families come from south Somerset (Dorset borders): The Seavingtons/Whitelackington (Scott family), Misterton, Merriott, Crewkerne.
Extract from 1868 Gazetteer on both Seavingtons:
“The Osbornes arrived in Merriott towards the end of the 17th century. The first Parish Register record was the baptism of Mary, daughter of Alexander Osborne, born in Norton Sub Hamdon, and his wife Mary in 1692.”
See Earliest mentions page on MFG.
It is often forgotten that there was mining in the Somerset area – copper and also coal I think. However most relations were either working the land, weavers or traders. See Occupations page, and also the Moving for Work section on Tonypandy page for the Somerset families which abandoned the area.
- Seavington web museum.
- Somerset Archives.
- Somerset Voices oral history archive
- For North Somerset parish records and much more, Portbury Hundred website.
- Somerset Online Parish Clerks.
Related on Cutlock & Co
- A Major breakthrough in the Scott line
- A love is paid
- No flight of fancy
- Taken to Trask
- The Vickery family from Seavington
- How to Brake the records
- See your ancestors get the vote
- The wider Osborne family in Tonypandy
- In praise of .. Ancestry's Member Connect Activity feature
- Following four brothers from Somerset
- Open Daw(e) in Dorset