Note: this is now an old article – please see the documentation of further updates to FTM 2012 on our FTM Notes page instead.
Family Tree Maker 2012 has a mandatory update – version 184.108.40.2062 (mine was previously .388, presumably the UK release version number).
The install routine is a little annoying – three confirmation boxes for the upgrade to run, with only one having any options other than ‘cancel’ (and unlikely that you’d want to change the selection). The update doesn’t give a confirmation that it has finished and you need to fire up the program again for it to run. But no real problems encountered on my Windows 7 (64 bit) PC.
An Ancestry forum post says: Anyone with the early release version – 220.127.116.112, can (should!) do a manual update first to 18.104.22.1688 if Auto Update isnt working.
What is in the update
Here’s what the Update information box says:
This update contains important improvements to the Family Tree Maker 2012 product. The improvements address issues with overall stability and performance as well as the new TreeSync feature.
These improvements include:
1. TreeSync Improvements
Multiple sync errors fixed
Sync upload/download, and incremental sync performance improvements
Implied relationships are created on AMT now
3 hour media download time out fixed
Sync indicators, icons, states, and sync refresh messaging issues
Improved handling of deleted relationships
2. General Performance Improvements
Faster import (from all formats)
Faster sync change log generation and display
Improved media refresh, thumbnail creation,
Improved handling of source citation pasting and changes
3. GEDCOM Import/Export, fixed a number of issues (missing/unsupported tags, duplication of media, missing media links)
4. Pasting source citation, fixed failure to paste citations to name facts
5. Place name parsing, fixed issues related to country and place modifiers
6. Login, fixed Web Search login issue
7. Maps, fixed accuracy of maps
8. Media download, fixed issue where duplicate media items were downloaded in some cases
9. Media copy/link, fixed problem where media was copied in cases where it should have been linked
10. Smart Stories, fixed issue where smart stories were not updating correctly in some cases
11. Conflict resolution, fixed issue where the sex fact was not handled correctly in conflict resolution
12. Conflict resolution, fixed issue where citation and media conflicts were reported unnecessarily
13. Clearer & safer option for deleting online trees from Ancestry
14. Title for Extended Family Chart is left justified by default
15. Ability to sync accepted and rejected hints between FTM & Ancestry
16. Option to include/exclude Ancestry media in synced trees
17. Undocumented Facts Report
18. Outline Descendant Report, Option to list only direct descendants between an ancestor and one descendant
19. Task List, Options to include/exclude task attributes and reclaim space for items excluded
20. Data Errors Report, Added option to list event dates that are not valid
21. Ability to select multiple facts in the source citation link dialog
It is important that this update be run.